Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Gluten Free Coconut Orange Baked Donuts with Chocolate Glaze


I do not have a picture of these donuts. This was totally by mistake but turned out pretty good! For my son’s 5th birthday, he requested donuts with corn on the cob for his birthday dinner. So – that’s what he got. Now the donuts we eat are never fried, always baked. These were no different, however; I had never made gluten free donuts before. I tried to convince him to have pancakes but he refused – so then it was a mission. How can I make gluten free donuts that did not taste like hockey pucks? I had convinced myself these were going to be something that everyone pretended to like but secretly threw away. However- the opposite happened. All six were gone in minutes.

1 cup gluten free pancake mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
¼ cup white sorghum flour
¼ cup coconut flour
2 Tbsp tapioca starch
½ tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp oil
¾ cup almond milk (or other milk of choice)
zest from one orange
¼ cup honey
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
·         Mix together all the above ingredients and bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until slightly brown.

While the donuts are baking, make the glaze below:
½ cup gluten free chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life brand)
1 Tbsp orange juice (from orange you just zested)
1 Tbsp almond milk
·         Melt chocolate chips in microwave and mix with the other ingredients.
·         Once donuts are done baking and have cooled slightly, dip top of donut in chocolate glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!