Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, December 13, 2013

Cranberry Currant Persimmon Bars

Sometimes I go to the store and see something weird. And then I think, “I want to try that!” I don’t know why but I decided I was going to buy some persimmons at the store. I’ve never had them, had to clue what they tasted like or how to cook them. I let one get really ripe and knew it was going to be really mushy so I decided to make these bars with them. The almond-date crust is really easy to make and is a great alternative to grain crusts. The fruit mixture is very similar to a jam and the crumble topping kind of ties it all together. These are a great little treat that is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, low fat, kid friendly! It’s just great and pretty easy to make! The flours can be easily substituted to whatever you have on hand. Makes a 9x13 pan of bars.


Crust
1 cup dates (10 regular dates, pits removed)
1 cup plain almonds
½ cup water
½ cup coconut flour
¼ cup coconut sugar or stevia
Fruit Filling
2 medium persimmons, chopped (about ½-3/4 cup)
½ cup chopped cranberries
1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
¼ cup water
½ cup coconut sugar or stevia
Crumb Topping
½ cup almond flour
½ cup coconut flour
¼ cup coconut sugar or stevia
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter or coconut oil (I used dairy free)
1 tsp almond milk or water


  • In a blender, puree almonds, water and dates together until smooth. In a bowl, add in date mixture and remaining crust ingredients and mix until well combined. 
  • Spread into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 375°F for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. 
  • In a saucepan, combine fruit filling and bring to boil over medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken. Pour fruit mixture over crust. 
  • In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients and blend together with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle crumb mixture over fruit filling. 
  • Return bars to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until crumb topping starts to brown. Let cool about 15 minutes and cut into bars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!