Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Orange Currant Cinnamon Rolls

I’ve been thinking of brunch recipes we could have on Christmas morning and I knew I wanted to make some cinnamon rolls. However, you can’t just wing it on the day of – trust me, I’ve tried that and it doesn’t always work. These were actually supposed to be scones but I wasn’t paying attention and following my standard cinnamon roll recipe so once I got in the middle of making the dough I knew I had to commit! Good thing I was spacing because these are great! I’m sure they’d be awesome as a scone too but the cinnamon roll works so great, we may not try the scone! I was missing my "Granny Grunt" this morning and decided to use her plate for my picture. The holidays are hard when loved ones are gone but its little things that make you remember and enjoy their spirit! This makes 12 cinnamon rolls.


Orange Currant Rolls

Dough
1 cup white rice flour
¾ cup amaranth flour
½ cup potato starch
½ cup arrowroot starch
1 Tbsp xanthan gum
1 Tbsp yeast (1 packet)
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup stevia
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 egg
¼ cup applesauce
¾ cup almond milk
½ cup water
1 tsp vanilla
Filling
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
½ cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
2 tsp cinnamon
½ cup dried currants
Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp coconut oil, melted (or butter)
Juice and Zest from one orange


  • Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together water, almond milk and yeast for dough and let set for a few minutes. Add in applesauce, coconut oil, egg and vanilla to dry mix and blend well.
  •  Pour in milk mixture and blend on medium speed for 2 minutes. 
  • This part is key. Put a large rectangle piece of plastic wrap onto your counter or tabletop to roll the dough on. Pour dough onto plastic wrap and spread into a rectangle. Place another sheet of plastic wrap onto dough. Roll out into a thin rectangle. Remove top layer of plastic wrap.
  • Spread the coconut oil for filling over the dough. Sprinkle on coconut sugar, cinnamon and currants. Take the long side of the dough and roll over the rest. 
  • A trick here is to roll the dough using the edges of the plastic wrap. The dough is sticky and hard to roll if you use your hands. Cut dough log into 1” pieces. 
  • In a greased 9x13 pan, place rolls cut side down. Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until browned on top. 
  • Mix together icing ingredients and spread over warm rolls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!