Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, December 27, 2013

Sweet Potato Skins

For Christmas this year, my mother-in-law made these great looking little potato skins for an appetizer. They were just potato skins, stuffed with bacon, cheese and onions. I of course couldn’t eat them because of the cheese and onions so I decided to make my own! We don’t eat a lot of white potatoes and I’m currently on a non-dairy diet so I modified this quite a bit. They turned out really great though. They would be perfect for a game day snack or party food. Plus they are made with more natural ingredients so you don’t have to feel as guilty for eating them! This makes 8 potato skins.

4 small sweet potatoes
1 Tbsp olive oil
5 slices of turkey bacon, diced
½ cup shredded cheese (I used Daiya DF cheddar)
1 Tbsp chives
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
Paprika
Garlic salt
Black pepper


  • Bake sweet potatoes as desired, oven or microwave, until just cooked. Cut baked potatoes in half, lengthwise and carefully scoop out insides, leaving about ¼ inch layer of potato in shell. 
  • In a large skillet, cook diced bacon pieces until cooked through. 
  • On a large baking sheet, lay potato shells and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle coconut sugar, chives, paprika, salt and pepper onto potatoes. 
  • Sprinkle turkey bacon inside potato shells and top with shredded cheese.
  • Bake at 450°F for about 15 minutes or until shells are crispy and cheese is melted. Serve with ranch or sour cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!