Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cucumber-Onion Salad


This salad is so quick and easy, but also one of my favorites. My mother’s neighbor is getting quite old and his wife just passed away. I have known them since I was a little girl and they have always had a HUGE garden – for just the two of them. Every year they had so much more food than they could possibly eat so they would walk down the road, giving all of the neighbors the fruits of their hard work. This year was no different; he came walking to my mother’s house with bags full of beets and cucumbers. He gave us even more than we could eat so I had to do something with all of them. The acid in this recipe helps the tender cucumbers keep a little longer so they do not go to waste.
1 large cucumber, peeled, cut into thin slices
½ large onion, cut into thin slices
¼ cup white vinegar
¼ cup tarragon vinegar
¼ cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp parsley
1 Tbsp honey or sugar for sweetness
1/2 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ cup water
  • Mix together the vinegars, spices, honey and water until combined.
  • Add in the cucumber and onion slices. Your liquid should cover the vegetables – if it doesn’t just add some more water.
  • Refrigerate for 2 hours and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!