Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, August 23, 2013

"Fried" Green Tomatoes


Let’s be honest – who doesn’t love fried food?? Okay -  in all seriousness, I don’t anymore. However, I used to eat A LOT of fried foods. It’s what I grew up eating. Heck – it’s what  most current America grew up eating. Not anymore at our house though. Don’t get me wrong, there are days when I crave some French fries, or fried okra, etc. Instead we have gluten-free, baked foods. Like these little beauties. These tomatoes still have that great “fried” crunch without all the guilt. Let’s just say – we love them.

2 large, very green tomatoes, sliced into about ¼” slices
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup almond milk
½ cup gluten free bread crumbs
¼ cup gluten free flour of choice (I used a mix of potato starch and rice flour)
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp parsley
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
  • In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk together. In another small bowl, combine bread crumbs, flour, salt, parsley, paprika and pepper.
  • In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Dip each tomato slice in egg mixture and then coat in flour mixture.
  • Pan fry the tomato slices on each side for about 5-7 minutes or until both sides are browned and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!