Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, August 19, 2013

Smoky Chickpea Salad


Sometimes a quick, light salad will do just the trick for dinner on a warm summer night. I eat salad on a daily basis – for lunch, dinner, snack or all three. I do get a little bored with them though so I try to find new ways to freshen them up. I am fine with having a salad for dinner with a small piece of bread or something. However, my hungry son and husband can’t live off of lettuce. The chickpeas in the salad add a little protein and also add a little something extra to plain ol’ lettuce. The boys of course prefer Ranch dressing, but I like a simple vinegar/olive oil vinaigrette.

1 can chickpeas rinsed
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp liquid smoke
½ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp honey
¼ cup roasted red pepper, chopped
¼ cup leeks, chopped
1 bunch of romaine lettuce, chopped
2 slices smoked provolone cheese, chopped
  • In a large skillet, combine chickpeas, paprika, smoke, garlic salt and honey and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, combine lettuce, leeks, peppers and cheese in a large serving bowl.
  • After the chickpeas have cooled for a bit, pour them over salad. Best if served immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!