Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Peanut Butter Cookie Bars


These are so similar to the Girl Scout Peanut Butter Pattie Cookies…only gluten free! I halved the recipe and made my Homemade Twix Bars at the same time but the recipe below will make just a full batch of these. I like to call these a Re-twix, which is my term for a Reese’s/Twix mix and can you really go wrong with that?? I think not. Enjoy these in moderation as you could easily call these your “cheat” for the week as they are not that healthy (but oh so delicious!)

1 package of cookie mix (sugar or shortbread preferably – I used Bob’s Red Mill Shortbread)
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup applesauce or yogurt
1 large egg
¼ cup water
1 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
1/3 cup almond milk
½ cup chocolate chips
1 Tbsp almond milk
  • Mix together cookie mix, oil, applesauce, egg and water until mix is well combined and crumbly. It will look very dry – this is fine.
  • In a greased 9x13 baking pan, press cookie dough until it covers the bottom of the pan. Try to make the cookie dough as level as possible in the bottom of the pan.
  • Bake the cookie dough at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until just slightly browned along edges.
  • While your cookie is baking, make your peanut butter layer. Melt peanut butter and 1/3 cup almond milk together either in the microwave or over the stove.
  • Once the cookie has finished baking, pour over peanut butter mixture. Let set for about 20 minutes.
  • Melt chocolate chips and almond milk together either over the stove or in microwave according to your chocolate chip package instructions. Pour chocolate sauce over peanut cookie. Let this set for about 20 minutes.
  • Cut into pieces and serve. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
    • NOTE: I froze my bars instead of letting them cool for 20 minutes. We also liked eating them cold. Also – you can bake your cookies according to package instructions if desired – I just lightened ours up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!