Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Biscuits with Browned Turkey Gravy


When I was little – well up until my new diet – my favorite breakfast food was biscuits and gravy. My mom could make the best too. She would cook up some Pillsbury buttermilk, flaky biscuits. Then she’d make homemade sausage gravy (from scratch) and pour over the warm biscuits. Oh my goodness- it was fantastic. Looking back now – I can’t believe my favorite breakfast was full of so much junk. This version is (obviously) gluten-free, lean, and made with more natural ingredients. The best part – it tastes so good, we don’t miss the old stuff!

8 biscuits (I used Bob’s Red Mill packaged mix according to their directions for a quick version)
¼ lb of turkey sausage (Here’s my homemade version)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp potato starch (or flour)
½ tsp garlic salt
½ - ¾ cup milk (I did use unsweetened almond milk)
  • In a skillet over medium heat, brown turkey sausage in olive oil and crumble into small pieces.
  • Once cooked, add in potato starch and garlic salt until combined with the sausage.
  • Slowly add in ½ milk and cook on low heat until boiling. Continue cooking while stirring constantly until you get the desired consistency of your gravy.
    • You may want to add in a little extra milk if your gravy gets too thick. Pour gravy mixture over warm biscuits and serve with some fresh fruit!
    • The key here is to make your gravy in the same skillet you cooked your sausage in. This will give it the brown color and add SO much flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!