Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Spicy Watermelon Mint Jam


I won’t lie-I was skeptically about this recipe initially. I have recently been using a lot of ginger in my new recipes I’m trying. My neighbor had brought over a watermelon and we couldn’t eat all of it; there was so much. I hated to see it go to waste so I gave this a try. I also have a TON of mint. All kinds – chocolate mint, spearmint, citrus mint. For some reason, mint is the only herb I have found that can and will grow anywhere. I first planted it a couple of years ago in my garden. It is now all over my yard in random places. By my house, in the back yard, in the front yard… all over. Anyway – I also hate to see it go to waste so this recipe was born. A little disclaimer: this is not just a sweet fruity jam. It has a lot of spice. We have served this with cheese and crackers. It is not bad on breakfast items, like toast, it’s just a little different!



6 cups watermelon (seedless), cut into chunks
½ cup water
½ cup watermelon juice
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup honey (or 2.5 cups of white sugar)
2 tsp fresh mint
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp no sugar pectin (if desired to help it “gel” up)
  • In a food processor or blender, blend watermelon, ginger, mint and pepper until desired consistency. You won’t need to blend this very much as the watermelon is already soft.
  • In a large stockpot combine watermelon mixture, water, watermelon juice and bring to a slow boil. Stir in lemon juice and honey. Return to boiling and add in pectin.
  • Cook at a slow boil for about 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
  • Ladle jam into prepared glass jars and finish preparing jars as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!