Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, September 13, 2013

Soccer Snacks


I’m not sure if it’s the same where you live, but here youth soccer is a big deal. Players ranging from 3-18 play and love it! This is our first year for soccer with my 5 year old. We are working on his socializing before he starts school so we are giving sports and other activities a try. My husband is one of the coaches on the team and it is going very well. Anyway – today is the first set of games. Each parent is responsible for bring snacks for a game and I’m looking forward to it. In the past, I’ve seen everything from pop and cookies to more healthy options for kids sports. I may not be the mom that brings cookies and soda for a treat BUT that’s okay. I’d rather them have better options, especially after running around for an hour. I don’t giver other kids things I wouldn’t give my own. That means, if my son doesn’t get Oreo’s, then we don’t “treat” them either. Some kids (and parents) don’t like it, but that’s okay. It’s not like I’m making them eat kale and asparagus or something. I don’t care what anyone else feeds their kids; we all have options and choices to make.

Here are few ideas for kid snacks – for soccer games or whatever!
  • Goldfish crackers (preferably homemade)
  • Dried fruits
  • Cereal
  • Trail mix
  • Pretzels
  • Cheese cubes
  • Fresh fruit chunks (the best are oranges, grapes, apples, pears)
  • Almonds or other nuts/seeds
  • Infused waters
  • All natural fruit juices
  • Coconut water
  • Fresh lemonade
Some good tips for treat days:
  • Always bring a couple extra (just in case!)
  • If you are outside, bring a trash sack for any empty bags or other trash
  • Baby wipes or Wet Ones are great for cleanup
  • Be patient with the children (some will run over other kids to get their snack, others will be shy)
  • Make sure there aren’t any kids with food allergies if possible
  • If you have someone with a food allergy, try not to put anything that would harm them in the snacks – bring something else.
  • Always bring a smile – children are one of God’s greatest gifts and their innocence is such a blessing – enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!