Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Semi-Homemade Savory Cornbread


What goes better with chili than cornbread? I’m not real sure so I couldn’t really post a chili recipe without posting a cornbread recipe to go with it. This cornbread is so easy. It starts with a pre-made gluten free mix which takes away a lot of the work of making the bread base. Add in a few extra special touches and you’ve got a perfect cornbread recipe. The Swiss cheese and leeks really complement each other well. Of course, if you don’t have a diary or gluten allergy, you can always replace with regular cheese and regular cornbread mix.

1 package of GF cornbread mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
2 eggs
1 ½ cup milk (I used almond but soy or dairy would work)
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup grated Swiss cheese (I found a diary-free almond cheese!)
¼ cup leeks, finely chopped
1 tsp ground sage
  • In a large mixing bowl, blend together cornbread mix, eggs, milk and olive oil – batter will be thick. Blend for about 45 seconds.
  • Slowly fold in cheese, leeks and sage – stir with spoon until just combined.
  • Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and knife inserted comes out clean.
    • NOTE: The cornbread mix said to use a 9x9 pan, which I did. However, the bread came out really thick and the serving sizes were very large. I prefer a thinner cornbread so I will use a larger pan next time. If you use a different pan size, just adjust your cooking time slightly.
    • Spread a little butter on top for some extra flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!