Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, September 6, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate Glaze


You know those desserts you get at restaurants that are titled “Monster  Cookie”, “7 layer Chocolate Cake”, “Death by Chocolate Cake”?? Well, this could have a title something like those. I mean who doesn’t want a “death by chocolate” cake?? I never had room for dessert when we ate out so I’ve only had a few of these items in my years. However – just because we are gluten free now, doesn’t mean we have to miss out on “dangerous” desserts like these. Here’s another one of my splurge recipes but it’s still healthy enough you don’t have to feel too guilty about eating it. I apologize for the picture; it was so good my son couldn’t even wait for me to take a picture before sneaking a bite! J

1 package of GF chocolate cake mix (you can make your own also, I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
1 cup milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla (2 if you used plain milk)
1 cup shredded zucchini
Glaze:
1 bag of chocolate chips (I used GF, dairy free, but any kind would work)
1 Tbsp milk (I used almond)
1 tsp coconut oil
  • Mix together chocolate cake mix, milk, lemon juice, eggs and vanilla for about 30 seconds on low speed. Add in shredded zucchini and blend for another minute. P
  • our cake batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan. Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes or until cake is cooked through (a toothpick inserted should come out clean).
  • Let cake cool for about 10 minutes.
  • While cake is cooling, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave according to package instructions. Add in milk and stir until well combined.
  • Pour glaze over cooled cake and serve.
    • NOTE: You can make a round cake using two round cake pans; just adjust your cooking time accordingly. This also makes create cupcakes!
    • You can also make your glaze in a saucepan if you don’t use a microwave – just be sure to make sure it doesn’t scorch in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!