Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Superfood Chocolate Bars

I have a weakness and it is chocolate… I just can’t seem to give it up. I have learned to enjoy it in moderation. It’s hard finding allergy free chocolate though. I have ran across a few brands that I like – Enjoy Life is one. They are free of the major allergens and are easy to find where I live. I’ve also found a couple brands online. Artisana is good too. These bars I used a little combination of chocolate, oils, fruits, nuts, etc to promote a healthy little treat. They are packed full of nutrients, antioxidants, etc. It may be difficult to find some of the ingredients at your local grocery store (especially in small town KS!) but I challenge you to venture out a little. Visit a health food store, check online, etc to find some of these ingredients. If you can’t, simply substitute something else! You can make these with regular chocolate too, just watch the sugar content! This makes about 24 small bars

1 12oz package of dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life 60% cacao dark)
1/3 cup coconut oil (or butter)
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup chopped, dried goji berries (cranberries or currants would work)
½ cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
¼ cup chia seeds (dry)
¼ cup red wine (just an extra boost! Omit if desired)
½ tsp sea salt
¼ cup organic dry sweetener (I used coconut sugar crystals – optional)


  • In a large saucepan, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil together over low heat. Add in wine and vanilla and stir until smooth. Be careful not to over cook chocolate as it can burn quickly. 
  • Toss in about half of the berries, nuts and chia seeds into melted chocolate. Stir until well combined. 
  • Pour chocolate mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread into a thin layer. 
  • Sprinkle remaining berries, nuts and chia seeds over top of chocolate. 
  • Sprinkle on sea salt and sugar. 
  • Chill chocolate for about an hour. Break or cut into small pieces. Store covered in refrigerator for best results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!