Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, October 25, 2013

Butternut Pumpkin Biscuits


So I wanted to make some sweet potato biscuits one evening. I found a great recipe in a new cookbook I received as a gift. It is The Healthy Gluten-Free Life by Tammy Credicott. It is an amazing book with  simple recipes for readers new to the gluten-free diet like I was – check it out! She also has a new book out – Make Ahead Paleo that I just ordered – can’t wait to get it! Anyway, I was getting everything ready and realized I did not have sweet potatoes. Darn. However, I DID have some butternut squash. Now comes problem #2. I didn’t have enough squash. Darn. However, I DID have some leftover pumpkin.  Now comes problem #3. I was quickly running out of the flours the recipe called for. However, I did have a bunch of other flours I could use. Finally – a solution! I’m not going to say they taste exactly like Tammy’s sweet potato biscuits but I imagine they are pretty stinkin close! These are soft and flakey but still gluten free and delicious! These would be a perfect addition to your favorite fall meal! The lesson I learned from this little mishap is that you can still create great things with what you have on hand – you just have to use your noggin a little more and have a little faith J Makes roughly 18 small biscuits.

1 cup white sorghum flour
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup potato starch
¾ cup tapioca starch
1 packet (1 ½ tsp) xanthan gum
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
½ cup butter, cold (or shortening) I used soy butter
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup applesauce (or ½ cup more butter or shortening)
1/3 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond)
1 cup butternut squash (cooked & mashed)
1 cup pumpkin (canned or fresh cooked & mashed)
¼ cup sweetener (I used a mixture of honey & maple syrup)
1 tsp cinnamon
  • In a large bowl, mix together sorghum flour, coconut flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum.
  • Cut in butter, coconut oil and applesauce with dry ingredients. 
  • In a separate bowl, mix together mashed squash, pumpkin, milk, sweetener and cinnamon. 
  • Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. You don’t want dry flour rolling around, but you don’t want to over blend either.
  • Using your hands, shape dough into 2” biscuits and place on a greased cookie sheet.
  • Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!