Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash


Italian food is my favorite. My favorite restaurant was Johnny Carino’s and this little local place in Branson - Rocky's. That was my go-to dinner place for any occasion. I hate to admit it, but I could eat the entire loaf of bread by myself and then probably more. Anyway – during my pre-gluten free days, I would make a pretty decent Chicken Parmesan; full of greasy bread crumbs, cheap pasta sauce and fatty, salty cheeses. This dish is NOT that. It is light, fresh and completely homemade. It is still very filling and very tasty, just less guilt! If desired, serve this with a small salad and bread sticks. Makes 4 servings

2 large chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise to make 4 thin pieces
2 Tbsp red wine vinaigrette
½ cup gluten free bread crumbs (make from dry bread)
¼ cup gluten free flour (all purpose, almond or coconut work great)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp basil, chopped
½ tsp oregano, chopped
½ tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 spaghetti squash
1 cup homemade pasta sauce (See mine here!)
½ cup cheese, shredded (we used dairy free)
  • In a small bowl, combine chicken breast pieces and vinaigrette. Stir until chicken is coated with the vinaigrette.
  • In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Dip the chicken into the bread crumb mixture until chicken breast is coated with crumbs.
  • Place chicken breasts in a hot skillet with olive oil. Cook on each side for about 10 minutes or until chicken breasts are cooked completely through.
  • While chicken is cooking, prepare spaghetti squash. I like to just cut it in a half, scoop out the seeds and steam in microwave for about 10 minutes. Once squash is done, scrap sides with a fork to make your “spaghetti”.
  • In a small saucepan, heat pasta sauce until warm. On a plate, place servings of spaghetti squash, top with chicken, pour over some sauce and sprinkle with cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!