Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Gluten Free Brownies with Maple Peanut Butter Frosting


This was my husband’s request for his birthday cake replacement. We prefer brownies over cake anyway! I did cheat a little and use a gluten free brownie mix. I really like the Bob’s Red Mill mixes but there are so many out there that are delicious too. I saw that Betty Crocker even has a gluten-free mix. Just watch your cross contamination factor when buying mixes or any flours for that matter. I try to find mixes made a strictly gluten-free factories or make my own. However, I do know how hard it is to make everything from scratch with children and working 50 hours a week – not easy! Either way – these were great. The frosting was perfect on these and gave a little hint of fall flavors with the maple flavor. For his birthday breakfast he wanted Maple Cinnamon Rolls. For some reason I made enough maple icing for 100 cinnamon rolls but I only made 12 rolls… so obviously I had an entire bowl of icing left. This was  great way to use it up – one of those rare perfect accidents!

1 box of gluten free brownie mix
1 egg
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup plain greek yogurt
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup peanut or almond butter
1 Tbsp maple syrup
¼ cup almond milk
  • Mix together brownie mix, egg, applesauce and yogurt until well combined – batter will be thick.
  • Spread batter into a greased pan (I used a 11x7 pan, but you could use a 9x9, just increase baking time).
  • Bake at 325°F for about 25 minutes or until brownies are cooked through. Let cool about 10 minutes.
  • While brownies are baking, make frosting. Melt peanut butter in microwave for about 15 seconds.
  • Whisk together warmed peanut butter, syrup and almond milk. Gradually add in powdered sugar until desired consistency.
    • Remember you are making a frosting not a glaze so you want it a little thick.
  • Spread frosting over brownies and serve. Cover and store in refrigerator if you have any leftovers.
  • Sprinkle with some Halloween sprinkles for an extra touch!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!