Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Orange Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake


So the story behind this recipe starts with a mistake. I woke up and decided I wanted orange rolls for breakfast. I’d been dying to make these and today was the day! So I gather most of my ingredients and put all of my flours together and opened the fridge. No eggs. Oops – but I remembered I did have some flax seed so I decided to make an egg substitute to go with it. The problem was I had too much liquid but didn’t realize it until I went to grab my “rolls” and place them in a baking dish. They instantly fell apart into mush in the pan. I was pretty disappointed. However, some of you know how expensive gluten-free flours can be and I was NOT going to let it go to waste. So I threw the mush mess in the oven. 25 minutes later I had a perfect coffee cake. So lesson here-don’t quit just because it doesn’t turn out exactly how you’d planned! Also – if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again! We didn’t even have leftovers! So that’s a win for the orange roll mess and it just means I get to try again another day!

Dough
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup tapioca starch
¼ cup coconut flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp active yeast
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup stevia
½ tsp sea salt
¾ cup almond milk
½ cup water
1 Tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp coconut oil
¼ cup applesauce
Filling
1 Tbsp cinnamon
¼ cup coconut sugar
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp orange zest
Icing
2 Tbsp dairy-free butter
2 Tbsp orange juice (from zested orange)
½ cup powdered sugar
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well. Slowly add in milk, water, flaxseed, vanilla, coconut oil and applesauce.
  • Here’s where it got tricky. Using plastic wrap, I rolled out my cinnamon roll dough, then I spread on my filling ingredients (coconut oil, cinnamon, sugar, then orange zest). And I rolled it up in to a dough log. I then cut it into small rolls and tried to put it in the 9x13 greased baking dish I prepared. However, you could probably cut out this dough log step and just mix in your filling ingredients into your dough.
  •  However you do it, put the dough in the baking dish and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
  • While cake is baking, mix together the icing ingredients. Add more sugar or orange juice to get desired consistency. Pour icing over cooled cake and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any questions or comments. I'm always looking for positive feedback to help improve my cooking!